Τρίτη 7 Δεκεμβρίου 2010

Walking in Rome all day...

...can be challenging. I have walked for kilometers the past few days and my feet are screaming "no more" but I have one more day left so I'll make the most of it.

Let's see...

Yesterday the weather forecast was saying it's going to rain. No problem. I decided to head to the Campodoglio, where the infamous stairs and piazza of Michelangelo is. Once I crossed Tevere - the river - I got lost of course. I was looking at the walls, then looking at my map, then looking for a sign, then my map again... no luck. I couldn't figure it out... And there comes an angel. An elegant lady in her sixties, dressed in a fur coat and some gold jewllery and asks if I am lost and if I need help. I told her where I want to go and she was going the same way. So here I am, guided by this elegant angel through the Jewish quarters of Rome and she tells me that the Romans owe everything to the Greeks. She even knew that Greece was left behind on everything because of the Ottoman Empire... I tell her I am an art historian and she compliments on my well spoken Italian... I was in heaven. I thanked her very much and I went on my way!

From then on, I knew exactly what I wanted to do, thanks to my friend Stephanie... I wanted to go to the cafe of the museum and have a cappuccino on the terrace! Which was overlooking the whole of Rome! Heaven one more time!

And then I walked to the ancient magnificence of Rome. All the way to the Colosseum. The road was scattered with antiquity, temples of ancient gods and arcs of emperors. Sorry, I can't provide more information on what I saw, I like walking, but I don't like to read pages and pages of historic stuff...

Slowly I approached the Colosseum. I have one statement. It's another exaggeration. It's huge! I guess it's in the blood of Romans to exaggerate. Let's make the biggest temples, the biggest stadiums, the biggest piazzas, the biggest churches! What else can I say... They were competing the Greeks, they were even competing with each other on the biggest achievements! It started raining when I got to the Colosseum so I bought a green umbrella from a Pakistani guy. Like in Greece, as soon as the first drops of rain fall, they appear. And they are really useful!

Back to the centre of the city, I walked to Piazza Navona one more time. I read a cool story about the fountain. It's all about four rivers meeting and the most interesting fact is that one of them is Nile. But his head is covered because they did not know where Nile's sprung from at the time! I like little details like that! So here is a pisture of the blindfolded Nile...

Then from Piazza Navona on to the other end of Rome, Piazza del Popolo. Another huge piazza. With a huge obelisc and huge fountains representing Greek gods. Seen this done that. Ok. And then I walked again to what seemed like a very rich part of the city. It was called via del Campo and it was packed with stores. The highlight of the street was a yellow ferrari that everyone was taking pictures of. Really beautiful. I took a picture too...

I then went to the French quarters to see the Carravagio's. There is somehting magnificent in experiencing the actual work of art in it's actual space. I mean, I had seen these paintings before, but watching them there, on the spot, was something else. They were beautiful.

And then it was time for dinner. I spoiled myself in a trattoria. And what did I eat? The plant I planted when I first got to Italy. Remember? Artichokes! Beautifully fried artichokes with parmesan cheese on top and lemon on the side! A glass of red wine and red pasta. And chocolate dream for dessert.

And then I went to bed!

I am so happy to be here... I am so glad to be walking these streets... There is a certain lonelyness that haunts me, but I know I can share all of it with my readers. Thanks for following. Thanks for reading. Today's journey can be described tomorrow. Right now I am too tired to write. So bare with me...

1 σχόλιο:

  1. Απολαυστική βόλτα .Σε ευχαριστώ για την εικονική βόλτα στην Ρώμη.Περιμένω την συνέχεια
    Καλησπέρες
    (άσχετο :Έχεις κάποιο δίσκο ή έστω κομμάτι που να είναι το αγαπημένος σου την φετινή χρονιά ;)

    ΑπάντησηΔιαγραφή